Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to remove ALL as a dimension member

Is there a way to remove the ALL member that Analysis Services adds to each dimension?

thanks.

In Analysis Services 2000 you can change AllLevel property of the dimension from Yes to No.

In AS2005 you to navigate to the highest level in the hierarchy in your dimension and for the corresponding attribute you change IsAggregatable property from True to False.

Edward.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||Thanks Ed!|||

Setting the IsAggregatable propery to True does remove the 'ALL' dimension member but now my application only receives the first member from the Dimensions Level. Is there another property that I should change in relation to this? I've messed around with some of them to no avail.

BTW I'm using AS 2005 and accessing the cube from VS2005 and the Dundas charting tool.

Any suggestions are welcome!

thx,

-Marilyn

|||

This could be limitation of the client tool accessing Analysis Services.

Try to browse your cube in the Cube Browser, you should see all members of your dimension.

Edward.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

When setting the IsAggregate property to 'False' the browser only shows the first member value in the dimension. The strange thing is that the 'All' value is grayed out (which is what I want) and all the checkboxes are checked...yet I only get results for the first member.

Any thoughts on how I can disable the 'ALL' and yet still retrieve data on all of the member values that I have checked in the drop-down box?

thx,

-Marilyn

|||

What browser are you using?

Edward.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

Ed,

I'm using IE V6.0 sp2 on windows xp pro sp2.

thx, Marilyn

|||

Sorry, I overlooked you using Dundas.

Try and take a look in properties of you chart control and see if you can skip the "All" level.

If you remove the "All" member from the hierarchy what is happening is that some other member becomes a default member.

The checkboxes you talk about are the way Dundas is presenting you the dimension structure. It is hard to say what logic it applies when you disable the "All" level.

The bottom line is: looks like there is little more you can do on the server side. try posting how you can tweak your chart to fit your requirements.

Edward.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

Hi,

I have a similar problem but relating specifically to Parent-Child dimensions. I wan't the ability to store data against the All member of the All level. I am not sure how to do this because the All member has no dimension key for me to use in fact table. So far I have created my own All level, which works OK except that I can now see two All levels. So now I would like to hide the default all level but I can't seem to do that on a Parent-Child dimension.

Any suggestions appreciated!

|||

I'm still having this same problem as well. It's really gotten to the point where I need to fix this. I have a demo on Friday a.m. and the customer will not like the fact that it's there!

I'm not sure what else to try. I've done everything that was suggested above.

if anyone has any additional thoughts on this please respond. I'm sure this is a problem that many would have come across.

thx,

-Marilyn

|||

I finally got past this problem. It was related to the 'level' I was using within my OLAP cube. Thanks for the suggestions I received.

-marilyn

|||Marilyn, what did you do to fix the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment